OUR PROFILE
   
  HF MEDIA

  RECENT POSTS

  ARCHIVES
   March 2005
   April 2005
   May 2005
   June 2005
   July 2005
   March 2006
   April 2006
   May 2006
   June 2006
   July 2006

  Powered by Blogger

Thursday, October 13, 2005
I Refuse

I am LOVING THE NEW KIRK FRANKLIN ALBUM "HERO". It's just great. One of the great tracks is number #20 called "Outro." You should check it out on iTunes so you can preview it. It's very powerful. I wrote down the lyrics because I wanted to post it on the blog to get some feedback from you.

To me this poem isn't just a call to black men, but to all people who want to live a life of integrity, honesty, faithfulness to God, and honor. What do you think? Is it realistic or just a fantasy for a person to live this way.





I Refuse..Outro track #20
I refuse to be another black statistic
A black man who can wine and dine in the sin of the world
And still be considered a Christian
I plan on being great
I care not to be less

I refuse to wear a barcode across my chest
I refuse to let a black tee, or a throwback jersey define me
I refuse to let my children witness divorce or make mature decisions in court
I refuse to grow up carrying a generational curse
I refuse to feel the need to curse in my verse

I hate being automatically looked at when someone asks can anyone rap
I want to be a black man who can flip it from Urban to Corporate images
A black man who doesn't gain knowledge of the world for his own pleasures
A black man who lives Christ to the fullest with no regrets

My only regret is the stigma that many black statistics in the past have set
Like going to jail
Bragging about bail
Leaving our kids
Cussin at church
Married and you still flirt
No father present at birth
animosity within the ministers at our church

I refuse to let my people be viewed as temporary
I plan on planting a seed that's not for the moment
But for one that's legendary
As for statistics
My Father broke the mold
And I feel it's my job for the next generation

To continue it.


Thoughts....
Comments:
i really love how deep Kirk's son is when he says it....the poem/song-whatever you want to call it-is so, so, so true. i hope that he puts more of these on upcoming cds. this is his best cd yet, and i have/listened to all of them :)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

DC Templates™