OUR PROFILE
   
  HF MEDIA

  RECENT POSTS

  ARCHIVES
   March 2005
   April 2005
   May 2005
   June 2005
   July 2005
   March 2006
   April 2006
   May 2006
   June 2006
   July 2006

  Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, June 15, 2005
Summer is Coming!

Invisible Children Site
I have ordered the movie called "Invisible Children" and as soon as it comes we are going to have a watching party. Last Sunday we thought about what it means to be a Christian in a world full of injustice. To be honest I don't really like talking about these things because it causes me to take a really hard look at myself, and that is never fun.

This Sunday we are going to continue our look at what the Bible says about being a Christian who brings about justice in a world that is unjust. Below is a list of lessons and events that we are going to do as part of learning what it means to become active in bringing about justice to the poor of this world:


Sunday, June 19 - Amos a Prophet for the Forgotten
Saturday, June 25 - Tag Sale at MCOC for Darfur
Sunday, June 26 - Youth Sunday (Yeah Gwen, Alisha, Stefan, and Azat)
Sunday, July 3 - "Hotel Rwanda" (this is the first day of our new Youth Church schedule 9:45 - 11:30 am)
Sat. - Sun., July 9&10 - "Worship in the Spirit of Justice" in Washington D.C.
Thurs., August 4 - "Heir Force Film Festival" - Gwen, Soeuraya, and Greg are the Co-Chairs


I am really excited about these events and what they can do for our world view. I pray that you are thinking about how you can use your gifts and talents to bring about attention and hope to the situations of injustice that happen all over the world. When you love others as yourself you take part in ushering in the Kingdom of God. When Christ returns he will reign with Justice and Mercy, but until then we are to love with justice, mercy, and selflessness.

I have finished the summer calendar and you can download it by clicking here. There are a lot of fun things that we have planned and I hope as many of you as possible can show up to each event.

One final thing. I would like a new name for Youth Church. Youth Church sounds so boring and institutional. So what can we call the hour and a half that we meet on Sunday's. One idea I had came from a song by Switchfoot called "The Beautiful Letdown". I like the part of the song that says "we are a beautiful let down, painfully uncool, the church of the dropouts and losers and sinners and failures and the fools oh what a beautiful let down are we salt in the wound let us sing one true tune" So my idea would be to call it "The Letdown." But I am definitely interested in any other ideas you all might have.
Comments:
"the church of the dropouts and losers and sinners and failures???" I'm not sure what that means but if it is what I think it is then that's the worst name yet.
 
I am not saying it's a grrrreat name, but I do think it works in certain contexts. The line you refer to (check out all the lyrics on the link) can have multiple meanings (at least it does to me).

One would be that we are people who don't think we have it all figured out. Since we don't have all the answers to everything we have to rely on our faith and God's grace instead of our own accomplishments.

Another idea is that we have dropped out, failed out, and look like loosers to a society that thinks God doesn't really exist.

Finally, it can mean we are a church for everyone. You don't have to be pretty, perfect, rich, cool, or popular to belong.

This is how it resonated with me. It is true that might not be the case for others, but that's why I put it out there for suggestions. Thanks for the comment :)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

DC Templates™